:: Re: [DNG] New behaviour under Devua…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Hendrik Boom
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] New behaviour under Devuan.
On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 06:27:59AM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 09:41:08PM +0100, Dave Turner wrote:
>
> [cut]
>
> > The bottle of wine isn't quite finished yet, but I am not trying to force
> > anyone to stop using 'su'.
> >
> > It IS a really bad idea though, rummage the interweb, somewhere in there is
> > a really good write up on why su is bad and sudo is good.

The problem with su is that you may forget you are superuser and start
doing dangerous things,

That's it.

If one is good at being careful, and there's enough environmental
context to remind you you're not an ordinary user, that shouldn't be a
problem.

I run admin tasks in a shell in virtual console 1.

I run my user tasks in a shell terminal in X.

No confusion arises, and it's convenient to do sysadmin tasks without
asking "may I" all the time.

Can we agree there's a valid use for su? And that is isn't for
everyone?

-- hendrik