Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] New behaviour under Devuan.
On 21/09/17 16:41, fsmithred wrote:
> On 09/21/2017 11:33 AM, KatolaZ wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 11:12:19AM -0400, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
>>> Under Debian, I could su to root in a console, and launch gparted from the CLI.
>>>
>>> Now, I get:
>>>
>>> ron@ron:~/Desktop $ su
>>> Password:
>>> No protocol specified
>>> xmodmap: unable to open display ':0.0'
>>> No protocol specified
>>> xmodmap: unable to open display ':0.0'
>>> No protocol specified
>>> xmodmap: unable to open display ':0.0'
>>> No protocol specified
>>> xmodmap: unable to open display ':0.0'
>>> No protocol specified
>>> xmodmap: unable to open display ':0.0'
>>> No protocol specified
>>> xmodmap: unable to open display ':0.0'
>>>
>>> root@ron:/home/ron/Desktop # gparted
>>> No protocol specified
>>>
>>> (gpartedbin:4721): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
>>>
>>> What did I do wrong ?
>>>
>>> And by the way, logging in under xdm (?) I had a shock when the Debian name and loogo appeared on the login screen...
>>>
>> you probably just need to `xhost +` from the "regular" user account
>> before su-ing. By default the current display is not accessible by any
>> user except the one who launched it. root is not an exception.
>>
>> My2Cents
>>
>> KatolaZ
>>

> I do it all the time without ever using xhost. su to root (not 'su -') and
> you should be able to launch graphical apps. I use gparted a lot. I assume
> that you mean a console/terminal inside an X-session.
>
> BTW, it's pretty easy to change the logo in xdm, and I'll tell you if I
> can remember where the file is. That install is gone already.
>
> I didn't figure out how to change the words. Maybe it's another graphic. I
> was looking for text. Anyway, check out the .xpm files in /etc/X11/xpm (I
> think it's there and not /usr/share).
>
> fsmithred

A rummage around the interweb will find the devuan.xpm file you need,
then a simple edit and job done. I did it on my iMac. Details to follow
when I've finished my bottle of wine.

Also, 'su' is just wrong, don't use it, always use sudo, and if you can
find a decent .deb of OpenBSD 'doas' ported to linux use that, it is
even better!

DaveT