:: Re: [DNG] New behaviour under Devua…
Top Pagina
Auteur: fsmithred
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] New behaviour under Devuan.
On 09/21/2017 11:33 AM, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 11:12:19AM -0400, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
>> Under Debian, I could su to root in a console, and launch gparted from the CLI.
>>
>> Now, I get:
>>
>> ron@ron:~/Desktop $ su
>> Password:
>> No protocol specified
>> xmodmap: unable to open display ':0.0'
>> No protocol specified
>> xmodmap: unable to open display ':0.0'
>> No protocol specified
>> xmodmap: unable to open display ':0.0'
>> No protocol specified
>> xmodmap: unable to open display ':0.0'
>> No protocol specified
>> xmodmap: unable to open display ':0.0'
>> No protocol specified
>> xmodmap: unable to open display ':0.0'
>>
>> root@ron:/home/ron/Desktop # gparted
>> No protocol specified
>>
>> (gpartedbin:4721): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
>>
>> What did I do wrong ?
>>
>> And by the way, logging in under xdm (?) I had a shock when the Debian name and loogo appeared on the login screen...
>>

> you probably just need to `xhost +` from the "regular" user account
> before su-ing. By default the current display is not accessible by any
> user except the one who launched it. root is not an exception.
>
> My2Cents
>
> KatolaZ

I do it all the time without ever using xhost. su to root (not 'su -') and
you should be able to launch graphical apps. I use gparted a lot. I assume
that you mean a console/terminal inside an X-session.

BTW, it's pretty easy to change the logo in xdm, and I'll tell you if I
can remember where the file is. That install is gone already.

I didn't figure out how to change the words. Maybe it's another graphic. I
was looking for text. Anyway, check out the .xpm files in /etc/X11/xpm (I
think it's there and not /usr/share).

fsmithred