:: Re: [DNG] security
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Miroslav Rovis
A: Hendrik Boom
CC: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] security
On 170919-14:47-0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 02:47:00PM +0000, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
>
> > I'm trying not to go off topic here... But just a few more words...
>
> Security in systems running Devuan is on topic here. We choose Devuan
> in part for security, and to be effective, we need security ll the

You probably meant "all":
> in part for security, and to be effective, we need security all the
> way down.
>

> > > I am starting to believe computer security is an unattainable Utopia
> > No, Edward. If computer security weren't attainable we wouldn't have Wikileaks,
> > and neither would we have Edward Snowden.
>

> > No, it's not unattainable. If I ever become part of a team, we'll be using what
> > FSF recommends (and it's what *taiidan* wrote extensively about recently on
> > this mailing list: IBM Talos II Power9 processor-based server;
>
> Unfortunately, that comes at too high high a price for many of us.
> But the cheaper systems are riddled with unexaminable firmware.

Mine systems, the 10-yrs old 3 machines Abit AT8-32 and the 4 or 5 yrs old
Asrock Extreme4 (also some 3 machines), both model MBO's are AMD64-based, they
are of that unexaminable firmware kind as well (need to update in my topic on dev1galaxy
Strange Bash under grsecurity's exec logging
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1598
with that info, more info, more likely I get an explanation on the
Tab-launches-execs-frenzy events there (the frenzy there was on Asrock MBO
system).
> There's no good technical reason why this should be the case. We end
> up resenting it but settling for it because it's what we can
> afford.

My above statement refers to possibly only my wishful future, some time in my
remaining life. No way could I afford IBM Talos II Power9-base server at this
time. But I keep dreaming and hoping...

Regards!

--
Miroslav Rovis