:: Re: [DNG] upgrade from Debian stret…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: fsmithred
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] upgrade from Debian stretch to Devuan ascii?
On 09/17/2017 08:54 AM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 07:50:56AM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 07:49:28AM +0200, arne wrote:
>>>
>>> Now the question: I run debian stretch.
>>> is it hard to switch to devuan or is a new install preferred?
>>>

>> "upgrading" from Debian to Devuan is officially supported so far only
>> for Jessie (i.e., from Debian woody/jessie to Devuan Jessie). In
>> theory, it shouldn't be too difficult to convert a Debian stretch into
>> a Devuan ASCII, but I have not tried it so far. Maybe somebody else
>> has good news on that front.
>>
>> It is quite possible that an official safe upgrade path will be
>> provided also between Debian stretch and Devuan ASCII, as ASCII
>> becomes stable.
>
> Has anyone done this yet, with or without problems?
>
> I know I upgraded from Debian Jessie to Devuan Jessie long before it
> was stable and hd no problems, except for dumping packages that
> depended on systemd, which I wasn't really using anyway.
>
> Could it already be the same for stretch and ascii?
>
> By the way, is it ascii or Ascii or ASCII? The character code is
> indeed ASCII, being an acronym, but is the asteroid also spelled in
> all caps?
>
> -- hendrik

All caps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3568_ASCII

I just did an upgrade from debian stretch to devuan ascii about an hour
ago. It was pretty painless, but I didn't install a lot to begin with.

- standard system install of debian stretch plus openbox, lxterminal,
lxpanel and a few other packages.
- changed sources to devuan ascii, update, add key, update again
- install sysvinit-core, reboot.
- [optional] install live-config-sysvinit to replace live-config-systemd
- remove libpam-systemd systemd systemd-shim
- apt-get autoremove
- install consolekit policykit-1 libpam-ck-connector (I don't know if
these were really needed. It seemed ok, but I'm using startx to get a
desktop.)
- install xserver-xorg-legacy
- [if no display manager] add needs_root_rights=yes to
/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config

Anyone paying close attention will notice that I did not run an upgrade or
dist-upgrade yet. There's a problem with the version of libudev1. If I try
to install the version in ascii, aptitude gives me three choices:
replace udev with eudev.
take the ascii version of libudev1 and remove xorg and lots more.
keep libudev at the current version.

For now, I'll keep it the way it is. There are only a few packages that
will upgrade. If I get a little more ambitious, I might try reinstalling
debian with the full gnome desktop and then switching to ascii. That
probably won't be fun, but I'm curious to see what gnome3 looks like. I've
never installed it on hardware, and it doesn't shine to its full beauty in
a VM.[/sarcasm]

fsmithred