:: Re: [devuan-dev] Devuan Meet Sept. …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: John Franklin
À: devuan developers internal list
Sujet: Re: [devuan-dev] Devuan Meet Sept. 13/14 2017

> On Sep 13, 2017, at 2:11 AM, KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 12:24:49AM +0200, Ivan J. wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

>>> So, how can we get through this and keep it from happening again?
>>> If the project is to move forward, the root issues leading to the
>>> current state of affairs have to be resolved.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> There's not much to it besides letting people with actual time do
>> things...
>>

> Totally agree with parazyd. And the latest discussions we have had are
> all about that: help people to help Devuan.
>
> On the recent apparent reduction in Devuan's activity, let's please
> try to leave the drama aside. Nobody said much when people were
> working almost exclusively on Devuan for several weeks to push Jessie
> out (that was not normal either). Having alternating activity bursts
> is in the very nature of voluntary projects, like it or not.

This was my impression, too. Less a “crisis of governance” and more a slump in momentum, possibly compounded by the European summer vacation.

I’d like to support Devuan any way I can, but my time for another project is limited. It is easiest when I can do it as part of another project. For example, seeding the torrent on tux.org, setting up a repo mirror (when it is ready to be mirrored), or filing bug reports when I run into something. Projects I am “actively” involved in get a day or two out of me, maybe a long weekend, and then nothing for weeks at a time. More often, I file bugs and patches when they affect a client.

Where I can, I’ll use Devuan as the underlying OS, and I’ll promote it as a viable alternative, but I need confidence that security updates will make it to the repositories in a timely manner. That will require Devuan to have a robust CI pipeline, and I know that build-out is in progress. I mention it here to provide a little p̵r̵e̵s̵s̵u̵r̵e̵ encouragement to keep up the good work.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin@???