Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Purism Librem and disabling Intel ME: it can be done [Re: TALOS 2 - The Libre Owner Controlled POWER9 Workstation/Server ]
On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 at 04:48:43 -0400
"Taiidan@???" <Taiidan@???> wrote:

> On 09/07/2017 04:30 AM, Alessandro Selli wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 at 17:12:27 -0400
>> zap <calmstorm@???> wrote:
>>
>>> Agreed! Talos is at least *LIBRE!*
>>    No, it ain't:
>> https://blog.rapid7.com/2013/07/02/a-penetration-testers-guide-to-ipmi/

>>     "BMCs and the IPMI Protocol

>>     Baseboard Management Controllers (BMCs) are a type of embedded
>>     computer used to provide out-of-band monitoring for desktops and
>>     servers. These products are sold under many brand names,
>> including HP iLO, Dell DRAC, Sun ILOM, Fujitsu iRMC, *IBM IMM*, and
>> Supermicro IPMI."

>>    IBM stuff is plagued by embedded controlware, too.

> Uhh no it is

Yes it is.

> There is a major difference between ME/PSP and IBM's POWER-BMC - One is
> open source and owner controlled the other two aren't.

Anything from IBM and Power-related is proprietary. Again, could you show
us blueprints of the CPU and the Remote Supervisor Adapter present in IBm's
chipsets?

> On 09/06/2017 07:18 PM, Alessandro Selli wrote:

>>> Uhh the laptops you guys are selling now cost just as much as TALOS...
>>    "you" whom?  I am not a seller.
> You are constantly defending

No, I reported of what they are doing, providing quotations.

> them and snubbing your nose at superior
> products

No, I am only pointing out anything you wrote about the supposed
superiority of TALOS is faith-based.

> so it is obvious you work for purism.

You are constantly defending TALOS and their products based on proprietary,
closed-source hardware from a single producer that has decades-log strong
relationships with the US military and is known to put remote-control
hardware and software in their products that cannot be disabled AFAIK. So,
it is obvious you work for TALOS.

>>> only they aren't owner controlled.
>>    That you know of.  I remember IBM has always been one of the top USA
>> military's purveyors:

>> http://newspaperarchives.vassar.edu/cgi-bin/vassar?a=d&d=miscellany19700206-01.2.13
>>
>> "In fiscal 1909, IBM contracted for $257,000,000.00 worth of its
>> products with the United States Department of Defense. 4 The importance
>> of IBM's military role has grown with the computerization of the
>> American war effort in Vietnam." (1909 is probably an OCR error, there
>> are many in the piece; it could be 1969).
>>
>>    I very doubt material from IBM can be thought of being
>> freedom-and-liberty loving and exempt from any governmental-friendly
>> "features".  They just don't put it in their public spec sheets like
>> Intel does.
> Ahh oh well shucks looks like I had better buy a purism right? at least
> then I know for a fact that there is a hardware level backdoor and can
> act accordingly!

You could buy a costlier product from TALOS and get yourself a system with
hardware backdoors that, differently from Intel's, cannot be disabled (at
least no one knows how to do it).

Enjoy your golden privacy- and freedom-denying cage by Big Blue.

--
Alessandro Selli http://alessandro.route-add.net
VOIP SIP: dhatarattha@???