:: Re: [DNG] TALOS 2 - The Libre Owner…
Top Pagina
Auteur: zap
Aan: dng
Nieuwe Onderwerpen: [DNG] Purism Librem and disabling Intel ME: it can be done [ Re: TALOS 2 - The Libre Owner Controlled POWER9 Workstation/Server ]
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] TALOS 2 - The Libre Owner Controlled POWER9 Workstation/Server

On 09/03/2017 05:26 AM, Alessandro Selli wrote:
> On 01/09/2017 at 20:36, zap wrote:
>>> I doubt it will be owner controlled, as their laptops aren't - they
>>> still haven't even gotten a blobbed version of coreboot working
>>> (blobbed init code + ME enabled as they insisted on a crappy intel soc)
>>> Purism isn't a trustworthy company.
>> Gee, I thought purism was a trustworthy company, I mean they claim you
>> can get the latest and the greatest without intel me
> This is *not* what they claim:
>
> https://puri.sm/learn/intel-me/
>
> "Freeing the ME is a challenge, but not impossible"
>
> "By working with Intel, motherboard design developers, as well as our
> coreboot developers, Purism has put in motion a solid approach on how to run
> a freed Intel ME *in the future*."

Sorry, but have you talked to libreboot or coreboot about this? and
also, not even google with all their money can convince intel to give
their secrets to them. That for me is a solid reason why I said this.

> Emphasis mine.
> How far into the future?
>
> https://puri.sm/products/
>
> "This can be applied as a software update for the existing Librem 13 v1
> (porting to other existing models is ongoing), and this will also be
> available factory-installed starting Q3 2017"
>
> Right now this is what they have achieved:
>
> "A neutralized ME"
>
> "While finishing our first coreboot port, we have successfully neutralized
> the Intel ME thanks to the great work of the “me_cleaner” project, removing
> its kernel, network stack, and about 92% of the Intel ME binary. There
> remains a little over 7% before complete removal."
>
> The complete removal is in the works:
>
> "We are working to completely remove (or reverse engineer, as we have begun
> to do) the Intel ME, on all our models, and will update on our blog (and
> this page) as we make progress on that front."

I don't think they will succeed even if they did care...

>> in it and also they
>> claim that they can sprinkle magic fairy dust on all the hardware so
>> that you can use it all without any blobs or firmware that is
>> proprietary...
> Again, this is *not* what they claim:
>
> https://puri.sm/learn/blobs/ and
> https://puri.sm/about/competitors/
>
> They do *not* state that their products are free of any binary blob, they
> state that *their* software does not have any, from Coreboot on, and that
> the motherboard's BIOS is *partially* free of binary blobs.

Saying, that purism is being serious and not misleading people, I doubt
they can achieve what your talking about, *Intel will not help them!

*If *Google cannot get convince intel to give their source code to them,
then purism has no chance in hell...* to get the source code
**
>> Doesn't that sound just plain trustworthy? Can you
>> honestly say that they cannot be trusted?
> They are honest in what they say. Could you prove they lied of misguided
> people in their statements please let everyone know.

I am sorry to say that I disagree completely, especially due to them
originally trying to pass nvidia as a means to achieve libre status
until there was an uproar and they changed to intel.
Unless they are just plain stupid.

Listen to coreboot and libreboot's reasoning why this will never work.

https://libreboot.org/faq.html

look at the parts about purism and intel. Also if you do, you will see
that what I said though very sarcastically, was true.