:: Re: [DNG] Proposed change in behavi…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Didier Kryn
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Proposed change in behaviour for ascii: eudev net.ifnames logic reversing proposal
Le 02/09/2017 à 15:45, Erik Christiansen a écrit :
> On 02.09.17 14:49, Didier Kryn wrote:
>> Le 02/09/2017 à 08:25, Erik Christiansen a écrit :
>>> Looking at "man ifrename", we see:
>>>
>>> -u Enable udev output mode. This enables proper integration of ifrename
>>>      in the udev framework, udevd(8) will use ifrename to assign interface
>>>      names present in /etc/iftab. In this mode the output of ifrename can
>>>      be parsed directly by udevd(8) as an IMPORT action. This requires
>>>      udev version 107 or later.

>>> As this appears capable of maintaining static nomenclature for a sane
>>> user interface, in the face of lower level irrationality, there appears
>>> to be no basis for doing other than retaining the higher standard of
>>> udev behaviour.
>>>
>>> Not only is it feasible to retain static interface names, using a file
>>> as we theorised on the thread, but that file is /etc/iftab. Simple.
>>>
>>      This is an easier configuration mechanism than editing udev rules.
>> Nevertheless I bet Udev insists on renaming and will generate an entry in
>> this file for every newly discovered interface. In Wheezy this could be
>> disabled by providing a trivial version of
>> /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules. I don't see any obvious
>> method to disable it with newer versions of Udev.
> Are you saying that newer versions of udev lack the IMPORT action?
> (It's still there on Debian 9.0) The ifrename manpage suggests that it
> is a recent improvement. If it is to be removed, then that is yet
> another Poetterwank.

     No. I don't know the Udev language. I used to trick rules to my
needs but it was just bricolage. I see that the name of the rules files
related to network change from version to version and their content
shrinks. For me this means more and more is done internally, out of
admin's control. But I might be paranoid; the author deserves that.

     Didier