:: Re: [DNG] TALOS 2 - The Libre Owner…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Arnt Gulbrandsen
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] TALOS 2 - The Libre Owner Controlled POWER9 Workstation/Server
Rick Moen writes:
> Having the i.MX6 ori.MX8 CPU 'separate' from the baseband controller (a
> term on which they have not yet elaborated), but the latter remains
> deeply problematic, being a proprietary black box with proprietary,
> opaque firmware.

Really?

I suppose you've dealt with as many ISPs as I have... some of them give you
a cable of some sort, some of them send you a router to put on customer
premises. In the latter case, some people just connect the ISP CPE to their
network, but you and I make a tiny DMZ and route everything via a router of
our own.

Once I used the exact same kind of Cisco as the ISP, which looked a little
superfluous. But that's really a small thing. A few watts, a power cable.

Back to the phones.

If you have proper control over your phones's baseband, you're relying on
the telco as a proprietary black box to forward your packets and calls. If
your baseband's a blob, but you do have a proper DMZ between your hardware
and the baseband, then you're relying on two black boxes. IMO: Much of a
muchness.

Arnt