:: Re: [DNG] TALOS 2 - The Libre Owner…
Forside
Slet denne besked
Besvar denne besked
Skribent: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] TALOS 2 - The Libre Owner Controlled POWER9 Workstation/Server
On 31.08.2017 17:01, info at smallinnovations dot nl wrote:

> Sure as far as it the kernel concerns that is true. As soon as you want
> hardware support for a specific SOC you depend on the hardware
> manufacturer. Which are not interested in open source and you are
> already lucky if they even want to deliver a binary blob.

We could pick a few suitable models (that are widely available for
several years, even as cheap used ones) and crack the blobs.

This approach already worked for several GPUs, starting w/ NVidia.
Perhaps we should try to bundle the resources, perhaps even create
a foundation which primary purpose is crack and disclose all
blob drivers and firmware of general computers and destroying
vendor lockins (including despotic restriction malware)

--mtx