:: Re: [DNG] ctwm
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] ctwm
On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 23:18:45 +0100
Dave Turner <dave_t_turner@???> wrote:

> On 29/08/17 13:26, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 09:14:11PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> >> I tried ctwm.
> >>
> >> The package manager installs it like a breeze, but in the
> >> tradition of Debian packages, it doesn't work out of the box.
> > Instead of complaining here, it'd be more productive to talk to the
> > package's maintainer:
> >
> >      Debian QA Group <packages@???>

> > Oh, wait -- the maintainer is you! (And also your cat and your
> > mother in law.). Thus, please submit patches. The package is
> > orphaned, so you are allowed to make any sane changes whatsoever
> > (as a non-DD, "sane" is defined as "whatever passes uploader's
> > review"). Drive-by changes are fine.
> >
> > You may submit the patches to Devuan or Debian, but as this matter
> > is not related to systemd, the latter would be greatly better:
> > (still) 100-1000 times more users, packages migrate to Devuan
> > anyway. Thus, it'd be nice if you could send your proposed changes
> > for review to anyone who can upload to Debian (like me for example).
> >
> >> First problem: The Debian package forgets to install
> >> /usr/share/xsessions/ctwm.desktop, so pressing F1 on the slim
> >> login screen doesn't find it. You can't get to ctwmrc using
> >> normal methods. Oops.
> >>
> >> So create the following /usr/share/xsessions/ctwm.desktop :
> > [snip]
> >
> > This looks like an obvious, undebatably good change.
> >
> >> If you only use a mouse...
> >>
> >> Trouble is, as it ships from the factory, ctwm is extremely
> >> keyboarder hostile. Try it and see: No matter what you do with
> >> your keyboard, you need to grab your mouse to fix the focus. Given
> >> that most lightweight WMDE users are keyboardists, this is a
> >> problem.
> >>
> >> Or not.
> >>
> >> Edit ~/.ctwmrc after copying it elsewhere, and add the following
> >> lines below the list of simple settings like "NoGrabServer" or
> >> "GrabServer", "DecorateTransients", the font assignments, etc, add
> >> the following lines:
> >>
> >> ==================================================
> >> UsePPosition "on"       # Help kbd instantiated windows get focus
> >> RandomPlacement "on"    # Help kbd instantiated windows get focus
> >> AutoFocusToTransients   # Help kbd instantiated windows get focus
> >> SaveWorkspaceFocus      # Obviously workspace focus should be
> >> retained WindowRing              # Enable Alt+Tab type window
> >> circulation WarpRingOnScreen        # Enable Alt+Tab type window
> >> circulation ==================================================
> > I don't know ctwm (and was greatly relieved as a newbie that I can
> > replace that twm thingy with WindowMaker) -- thus, in your opinion,
> > is what you propose:
> > ᴀ) a default good for everyone
> > ʙ) personal preference of a random (if well-meaning) guy?

> > If ᴀ, then what about making it work better out of the box?
> >
> >> Now go below all the Button assignments as well as any hotkey
> >> assignments, and add the following:

> [...]

Hi Dave,

We should stay in touch. I'm going to make two tiny Devuan packages:
One to add a couple files to make dmenu scroll vertically, and one to
make ctwm keyboarder friendly, easily visible for all visual acuities,
and to install the xsession files that the Debian package doesn't
install. I'm hoping what I do is absolutely independent of the ctwm and
dmenu packages used, but we should still keep in touch.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2017 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr