:: Re: [DNG] Which desktops are availa…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Steve Litt
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] Which desktops are available in Devuan?
On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 18:37:00 +0200
"J. Fahrner" <jf@???> wrote:

> Am 2017-08-28 18:26, schrieb Edward Bartolo:
> > XFCE 4 gives me font type/size configurability. Window Managers do
> > not give me that functionality expecting me to spend hours upon
> > hours ruining my eyes groping in configuration files for the
> > relevant settings.
>
> Sure they do! Try Bunsenlabs Linux (https://www.bunsenlabs.org/).
> Uses Openbox as window manager and nothing else. It's easy to migrate
> from a Bunsenlabs install to a Devuan base.
>
> Jochen

Adding to Jochen's post, window manager ctwm enables you to change
fonts, by editing them in ~/.ctwmrc. When I worked with Window Manager
IceWM, I could also adjust fonts.

Bear in mind that with a Window Manager, you can only adjust fonts for
the windows, not the applications in side the windows. Those
applications are adjustable via the adjuster program for their library:
Qt or Gtk. So you have to run the adjuster program from the command
line instead of from a magical sequence of mouse clicks, but the result
is the same, a great font size for your eyes.

I think Edward's real point is the buried shovel, where if only you
could see the print, you could enlarge the fonts, and if only you could
enlarge the fonts, you could see the screen. As a person with 20/50
corrected vision, I encounter that all the time and bigtime resent
these people who default their screen to 9pt type, darkblue on
darkgray. As a matter of fact, I blew off Gobo Linux for just that
reason.

The way I unbury the shovel is the following, assuming graphical Vim is
available:

* gvim
* Edit->select_font,  then crank up the size and set it bold.
    (select_font) is the bottom most on submenu
* Now you can see what you're doing.
* :e~/.gvimrc
* :w~/.gvimrc
* :set gfn?
* Copy the output of the preceding Vim command
* Paste that output into .gvimrc
* In the pasted command, place a backslash before every space
* Prepend the word "set", followed by a space, into the command
* :w

Now you always have a right-sized gvim, which helps a whole heck of a
lot. Edit the Window Manager's config file so that windows' menu text,
title text are the right size for you, and if necessary adjust colors.
Restart the Window Manager.

By the way, if your visual acuity is below average, a properly
configured and integrated dmenu can do you a world of good.

Also, there are a lot of font adjustment suggestions in the
latter half of the following section:

http://troubleshooters.com/lpm/201406/201406.htm#wmde_compensations

HTH,

SteveT