:: Re: [DNG] Which desktops are availa…
Góra strony
Autor: Steve Litt
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] Which desktops are available in Devuan?
On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 18:16:07 +1000
Erik Christiansen <dvalin@???> wrote:

[snip]

> That's good news. If LXQt were merely LXDE with a different grahics
> base, that'd be great. We'll see what the Razor-qt has brought with
> it.

I tried LXQt for awhile. It's good enough, IMHO. I'll keep using LXDE
as long as I can, but I'm ready, willing and able to switch to LXQt
when necessary, and LXQt becomes more ready for prime time daily.

> On 15.08.17 10:22, Fungi4All wrote:
> > Welcome Erik,
> > The first thing I did in Devuan was to install lightdm and LXDE and
> > remove xfce.

LOL, contrastingly, the first thing I did was to uninstall the Display
Manager (I think it was called slim) so that I could boot to CLI, and
from there, *if I wanted*, startx to GUI.

Which illustrates the real beauty of Linux. Fungi4All wants to boot
straight to GUI and use lightdm instead of slim to do it. No problem. I
want no Display Manager at all, and once again, no problem.

> > In most cases I use openbox
> > though with some lxde tools.

I hear ya Brother, that's pretty much what I do too. Plus, of course, I
incorporate dmenu.

[snip stuff referring to GUI access to shutdown]

> Well, I hark back to the days when we only had "shutdown -h now", so
> that's manageable.

Yes! Over the years using Redhat, Corel, Caldera, Mandrake, Mandriva,
Ubuntu, Debian, Void and Devuan, at least half the time shutting down
from the GUI didn't work, especially because I wasn't using a display
manager. No sweat off my petunias, I just typed "poweroff" or
"reboot" (except in the real old days when we had "shutdown -h now"
which sometimes doesn't power the machine off). And at times when I
rolled my own init system, sometimes I couldn't get the proper signal
to PID1 to shut down the system. No biggy, I just manually ran the
shellscript associated with init stage 3 (shutdown).