:: [DNG] Naming of network interfaces …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Martin Steigerwald
Aan: dng
Oude Onderwerpen: Re: [DNG] What does Linus do?
Onderwerp: [DNG] Naming of network interfaces (was: Re: What does Linus do?)
Narcis Garcia - 27.08.17, 09:59:
> El 26/08/17 a les 19:57, Didier Kryn ha escrit:
> > Le 26/08/2017 à 19:02, Alessandro Selli a écrit :
> >     With my proposed solution, the admin has the choice to refer to nics

> > by their interface name, as given by the kernel, which is fine when
> > there is only one, or by their MAC address, if there are several. If you
> > use MAC you get the same result as with current Devuan's udev renaming
> > scheme -without the race - and if you use eth0 then you get the same
> > result as if you disabled renaming. And you can mix things if you like
> > in /etc/interfaces, eg use wlan0 for wifi and MAC for the Ethernets; it
> > isn't a decisipon of the distro; it is up to the admin. Just like for
> > partitions. Simplicity and choice, that's Unix, isn't it :-)
>
> This is exactly what the 'mactoname' service allows.

A maintainer/developer of ifupdown implemented this also there. Its standard
in Debian Sid now, that you can use MAC addresses in /e/n/i to address
interfaces.

There has been a huge and long thread on debian-devel about naming of network
interfaces that triggered a maintainer of ifupdown to implement this new
feature.

See manpage interfaces(5) on Debian Sid under PATTERN MATCHING INTERFACES.

For thread see:

Debian 9 in a VM with Proxmox 5 system =>
Naming of network devices
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/07/threads.html#00115

And here is the the mail about the MAC address pattern matching that Guus
Sliepen implemented:

But as Adam who replied to this mail then is on this list, it may be that he
mentioned all of this already… however how can I know in a thread that goes
about everything and the universe.

Thanks,
--
Martin