:: Re: [DNG] What does Linus do?
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Adam Borowski
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] What does Linus do?
On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 05:19:48PM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
>     AFAIR I fully agreed on that and then it jumped into my face that the
> renaming wasn't necessary at all, because it is sufficient to know the MAC
> address and ignore completely the interface name. It is just enough for this
> to work that the tools manipulating the network interfaces can be given the
> MAC address instead of the interface name. This opens an alternative to
> renaming: guaranteed stable interface reference, no race condition and no
> need for a new name space.

It would mean changes to every single program that deals with network
interfaces. With renaming, you apply this in a single place.

Also, compare "wlxf81a671bcfae" with "mac=f8:1a:67:1b:cf:ae" (hint: sed
's/mac=/wlx/;s/://g'). I don't see any advantages for the latter, and
nobody in this thread had any kind words for the former.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ Vat kind uf sufficiently advanced technology iz dis!?