Skribent: Hendrik Boom
Til: dng
Gamle-emner: Re: [DNG] An alternative to renaming [was Re: Proposed change inbehaviour for ascii: eudev net.ifnames]
Emne: [DNG] serial and ps2 ports.
On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 06:54:11PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 12:45:27PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 02:34:36PM +0200, Alessandro Selli wrote:

> > > Who does? Really, who today uses a mouse based on a technology that went
> > > out of production some 15 years ago and uses a connector that is absent on
> > > most computers (and all laptops AFAICT) produced after 2009?
> >
> > My home server still has a mouse and a keyboard with one of those
> > ancient round plugs.
>
> That's PS/2, not RS232.

True, true. And there seem to be two different sizes of those
round plugs in use. At least, I've seen adapters to connect between
the two sizes.

My system isn't as obsolete as I thought.

I'm still seeing ads for single-board computers where the console is
expected to be connected through a serial port.

So maybe serial is still alive.

-- hendrik