:: Re: [DNG] An alternative to renamin…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] An alternative to renaming [was Re: Proposed change inbehaviour for ascii: eudev net.ifnames]
On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 at 23:23:47 +0200 (CEST)
karl@??? wrote:

> Manually creating xorg.conf is required if you e.g. has a serial
> (rs232) mouse.

Who does? Really, who today uses a mouse based on a technology that went
out of production some 15 years ago and uses a connector that is absent on
most computers (and all laptops AFAICT) produced after 2009?

> It is also req. if you want to be able to use the
> serverlayout feature, say if you want to be able to start X with a
> screen dimention of 800x640 for testing without a virtual screen size
> or having several X servers running on different vt's with different
> (non-virtual) screen sizes.

All of this you can do with xrandr on the command line. And of course
the major WMs have their our GUI tools to do the same.

>> Not having to login as root to manually configure Xorg just to change
>> video card or monitor was one of the best and most wanted improvements in
>> Linux in the past 10 years. Manual Xorg configuration is so tedious, time
>> consuming and error prone that requiring users to be capable of it is just
>> crazy.
>> This xorg.conf:
>
> # cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> Section "ServerFlags"
>         Option "AutoAddDevices" "off"
> EndSection

> works like a charm on my laptop, everything is autodetected by X.

"Works for me" is not a good way to go when one readies a general-purpose
distribution that is to work on any combination of hardware available on the
target platform.

[...]

> There is absolutely no need at all to fiddle with xorg.conf for a
> vidio card or monitor change unless you want a non-default setup.

Yes, and you do not need to drink if you're not thirsty, and you do not
need to drive your car if you do not need to go anywhere.

> For a monitor, you only need to specify a monitor section in xorg.conf
> if your monitor doesn't support edid, i.e. for ancient monitors.

Which means you do *not* need xorg.conf since Xorg was made capable of
self-configuring on most hardware. I agree. So what? It still holds that
"Not having to login as root to manually configure Xorg just to change video
card or monitor was one of the best and most wanted improvements in Linux in
the past 10 years."

> I don't see what udev actually provides of value for the X server.

I never argued in udev's favour.

Alessandro