:: Re: [DNG] What does Linus do?
Página Principal
Autor: Didier Kryn
Para: John Franklin, Dave Turner
CC: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] What does Linus do?
Le 24/08/2017 à 01:01, John Franklin a écrit :
>> On Aug 22, 2017, at 2:26 PM, Dave Turner<dave_t_turner@???> wrote:
>>
>> There's a lot of heavy discussion going on in
>>
>> 'Proposed change to ascii' and 'an alternative to renaming'
>>
>> But what does Linus do? How does he think this should play out?
>>
>> I am a big fan of 'going with the flow' apart from when it is a really bad idea such as systemd.
> Agreed. Those two discussions have long since outlived their usefulness and the petty bickering is going to scare away people.

     The second thread was a fork (by me) of a previous thread on the
best way to perform network interface renaming. Unfortunately it
contained two subjects.

     My main subject was questionning the necessity of renaming network
interfaces (with my answer to the question). Since nobody argumented
that renaming was necessary, it is clear for me that renaming is a
feature invented to give more importance to Udev and isn't necessary at all.

     The OT subjet was about Mdev (a KISS hotplugger) and wether it was
sufficient. Several technical advices have been provided on the subject,
plus too many digressions. Maybe all usable technical advices have been
collected and I will have to compile them and compare them with
available online documents. I must thank the people who gave technical
insights on the matter.

     For your thread, I have the personnal impression that the fashion,
a decade ago, was to delegate to userspace as much as possible of the OS
tasks. Unfortunately all the work of developping the userspace servers
has been taken over by RedHat in a bad way and, because of that, Linus
is now taking it back into the kernel, because he doesn't want to
participate in userspace. Of course he will never tell it that way.

     Didier