:: Re: [DNG] What does Linus do?
Góra strony
Autor: John Franklin
Dla: Dave Turner
CC: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] What does Linus do?

> On Aug 22, 2017, at 2:26 PM, Dave Turner <dave_t_turner@???> wrote:
>
> There's a lot of heavy discussion going on in
>
> 'Proposed change to ascii' and 'an alternative to renaming'
>
> But what does Linus do? How does he think this should play out?
>
> I am a big fan of 'going with the flow' apart from when it is a really bad idea such as systemd.

Agreed. Those two discussions have long since outlived their usefulness and the petty bickering is going to scare away people.

As it is currently, I have a hard time recommending Devuan. I’m no fan of systemd, but Devuan Jessie is essentially Debian Jessie, and the Ascii repository is a mess with several uninstallable packages (e.g., network-manager, slim), which means something or someone broke Debian Testing rules 4 and/or 5. [1] I know this isn’t Debian, but as a fork, I expect the same rules to apply.

The release engineering site release.devuan.org is in DNS, but points to the main devuan.org site. Clearly, there is some CI infrastructure that is missing, and until it is put in place, Devuan’s technical debt will continue to increase.

jf
[1] From https://www.debian.org/devel/testing
--
John Franklin