:: Re: [DNG] fvwm
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Stephen Dennison
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] fvwm
On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:
> Quoting Stephen Dennison (stephenrd@???):
>
>> A user interface that faces a graphical operating system... I don't
>> understand the choice of words picked here. I followed the link but
>> it didn't really help. I'm not sure which words are supposed to be
>> modifying which other words.
>
> Here's how this came about: A few times over the years, Steve has
> referred to things like XFCE as a 'window manager', and was told

<snip>
No, I mean, I literally don't understand the use of the words chosen
and how they're supposed to modify each other. Based on your
interpretation, my guesswork of his intended usage of the acronym was
more or less accurate, but I don't understand the choice of words
themselves.

>> I think I grasp how you want the term to be used, but
>> every time I see the new acronym come up I have to google it again to find
>> out what it is.
>
> Which, along with fundamental pointlessness, is why it won't work.

I suspect this may be so.

> To quibble: SLiM actually uses the word 'session' to mean 'user state,
> maintained on-disc by an X11 session manager.' In that context, it
> _doesn't_ mean merely something that runs for a while. Don't take my
> word for it: Read /etc/slim.conf, find the sessiondir line, and look up
> what the referenced directory location houses.

Actually I was basing my description on the session dir, the files,
and content. The files contain a command that will get executed.
Once that command exits you are back at the login. Yay for XDG? I
don't think slim cares about a user state or on-disk maintenance of
that. It gives you hooks to call setup and teardown to support
whatever hokey session you might want, but does it really care about
session in the way you describe? I haven't read a lot of
documentation for slim because, well, the config file is heavily
commented, so my understanding is probably flawed. Or perhaps the
distinction just doesn't matter.

>> I would be curious to hear how others handle this when they wish to
>> customize their session.
>
> Don't look at me. ;-> I prefer xdm from the Stone Age as my X display
> manager. Because it's bog-simple.

I used that for a while. I played with it long enough to learn how to
customize it but eventually went back to console login. I only
recently started using slim on systems that need to look modern for
other people.