:: Re: [DNG] An alternative to renamin…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Rick Moen
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] An alternative to renaming [was Re: Proposed change in behaviour for ascii: eudev net.ifnames]
Quoting Alessandro Selli (alessandroselli@???):

> Not having to login as root to manually configure Xorg just to change
> video card or monitor was one of the best and most wanted improvements in
> Linux in the past 10 years.

I'm sure, but on the other hand, how often did that happen? Extremely
seldom.

> Manual Xorg configuration is so tedious, time consuming and error
> prone that requiring users to be capable of it is just crazy.

Au contraire: Even if you had nothing besides Xorg (or previously
XFree86) itself, in almost all cases you could just do 'Xorg -configure
> /etc/X11/Xorg.conf' and nothing else. However, pretty nearly all

distributions provided even-easier X configurator tools.

Many long years ago during the XFree86 era, different chipset
necessitated installing individual X server packages, so, if you
switched cards, you often needed to not only reconfigure X but also
install a new X11 server package. That was burdensome -- but, again,
how often do you wake up one morning and say 'I know! I'm going to
install a different video card today!' And that bit was ages ago.

Perspective, not just a dictionary word.