Συντάκτης: Steve Litt
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: [DNG] fvwm
Hi all,

Fvwm is a lightweight GOSFUI
(Graphical Operating System Facing User
Interface (http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/gosfui.htm)) that is
extremely configurable and extensible. Not many people use it, but
those who do love it. The trouble is, it's very difficult to configure,
and configuration tips and instructions are handed down from mentor to
mentee with secret handshakes and incantations. There's almost no web
documentation suitable for someone not already an expert.

Nevertheless, Devuan has a very nice fvwm package that doesn't work
until one copies a file, and then works great. Today I managed to
integrate dmenu in with fvwm, creating a highly productive interface.

I found a couple issues with Devuan Jessie's Display Manager screen
that make using fvwm (or anything but the default) just a little more
difficult:

1) "Press F1 to select session"

2) Choice of GOSFUI is not sticky

As far as #1, what the hell does "session" mean? A session is something
that runs for awhile, and usually the implication is it's already
running. I think the word "session" needs to be changed to "GOSFUI". If
you'd rather not use a word directly created to handle the exact
concept, you could substitute "window manager or desktop environment".
To articulate just "window manager" or just "desktop environment" is to
create arguments, and also could lead to errors in very literal
thinking people.

#2 is bad because:

a) Most other display managers default to the last GOSFUI that was run,
not to the distro's default.

b) People preferring not to use the distro's default are going to get
mighty tired of F1-ing around the GOSFUI loop in order to pick their
choice.

I assume that slim (it is slim, right?) has a config for "sticky"
selections, and the other thing is just a change of prompt.

SteveT