:: Re: [DNG] new behaviour of /dev
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Tomasz Torcz
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] new behaviour of /dev
On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 01:27:38AM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> Hi!
> Do you remember when for decades we had to populate /dev using mknod
> (using makedev or something) -- both on Linux and on Unices that predated
> it? Then when udev came to make device creation dynamic.
>

> That the kernel can now do most of this work by itself is news to me.

This is managed by devtmpfs for almost a decade https://lwn.net/Articles/331818/

BTW, udevd does not create device nodes for few years, now. All mknod() calls
were removed. udev is for changing permissions, makeing symlinks and querying
device database (with help of hwdb).

--
Tomasz Torcz                                                       72->|   80->|
xmpp: zdzichubg@???                                          72->|   80->|