:: Re: [DNG] An alternative to renamin…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] An alternative to renaming [was Re: Proposed change in behaviour for ascii: eudev net.ifnames]
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 02:30:00PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> My guess is that the udev developers thought 'It'd be excellent to
> automatically supply to the starting Xorg binary the output of "Xorg
> -configure" when /etc/X11/Xorg.conf doesn't exist, thereby making Xorg
> automagically able to reconfigure itself every time it starts without
> ever bothering to create Xorg.conf' -- and somehow made the library
> call to libudev perform that shim operation. All I really know is that
> I was suddenly being told that creating Xorg.conf was no longer
> necessary if you were adequately happy with the autoconfiguration
> occuring in its absence.

Manually creating the configuration -- or even manually triggering its
creation -- is a pretty bad idea. It just guarantees you won't have working
X when you make any change to your hardware -- and sometimes software as
well.

If you have a need to adjust the configuration, you put into Xorg.conf just
the settings you want to alter. This will let X do the right thing.

Save for good-for-nothing Nvidia proprietary drivers, I haven't seen a case
where mucking with this file was needed to get working X for over a decade.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ Vat kind uf sufficiently advanced technology iz dis!?