:: [DNG] An alternative to renaming [w…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Didier Kryn
À: dng
Anciens-sujets: Re: [DNG] Proposed change in behaviour for ascii: eudev net.ifnames
Nouveaux-sujets: Re: [DNG] An alternative to renaming: UUID=MAC
Sujet: [DNG] An alternative to renaming [was Re: Proposed change in behaviour for ascii: eudev net.ifnames]
Le 21/08/2017 à 14:41, Arnt Karlsen a écrit :
> ..we need to sell either vdev or eudev or some such non-systemd
> udev upstream to Linus and the kernel guys and get them happy
> about kicking out systemd-udev from the kernel code base.

[OT]    I would prefer Mdev if the issue with X11 could be solved :-)
Mdev is so simpler than Udev, Eudev and Vdev.

     Let's forget Systemd and their "solutions". Interface renaming was
introduced by the original Udev. According to Adam, it races with
kernel's device discovery and the only solution is apparently to use a
namespace different of the one of the kernel.

     Note that a similar problem with disks has been solved elegantly by
referencing disks by their uuid or label in /etc/fstab. Maybe
/etc/network/interface could specify the MAC address as a hook. This
would only suppose that the hotplugger creates a symlink to the
interface in some /dev/net/by-address/ subdirectory. With this solution,
it is up to the admin to decide if  s?he wants a simple configuration
based on interface name (eth0) or a secured one alla
"Address=a0:d3:c1:9d:a5:86".

     Didier