:: Re: [DNG] Proposed change in behavi…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Proposed change in behaviour for ascii: eudev net.ifnames logic reversing proposal
Le 20/08/2017 à 18:57, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI a écrit :
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 16:38:18 +0100
> Rowland Penny <rpenny@???> wrote:
>
>> As far as I am aware, each network device should have a different MAC,
>> couldn't this be used to identify which device is which ?
> Could, but whenever you have to change a NIC after a thunderstorm you are buggered...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ron.
>     That's exactly the most frequent case. There's also the following
> case: you break your computer but not the disk. Instead of making a
> new install on another computer, you just exchange the disks. Your
> network was configured for eth0 but there's no more eth0, udev has
> renamed it eth1, because eth0 is the NIC of the broken computer.

     In any case the admin must either hack /etc/network/interfaces or
the udev rules. But I think this little inconveniency is better than the
meaningless device names promoted by Systemd people.

     Remains the problem of the namespace. Why not use nic0, nic1, etc
as a namespace for ethernet?

     Didier