:: Re: [DNG] Proposed change in behavi…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: marc
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Proposed change in behaviour for ascii: eudev net.ifnames logic reversing proposal
So another vote for keeping the eth0/wlan0 scheme and
not renaming devices in userspace.

Like Rick I haven't encountered a spontaneous device name
re-order in the wild.

However, some time ago the authors of the reverse engineered
nvidia ethernet driver (was it forcedeth?) noticed they had
decoded the mac address incorrectly and fixed it in a point
release. For me that meant a headless machine many thousands
of kilometers away became unreachable as what was eth0 at the
last reboot now was stuck at eth1_renamed or ens9faefas#*$? or
whatever it was.

Point is: In many cases eth0 means "the only network device
on the system, the one we use to go online" and tieing it
to a piece of hardware can be problematic too, as on occasion
it gets replaced - or as per anecdode above, changes
spontaneously, even though its function does not.

regards

marc