:: [DNG] golang-1.7 considered defecti…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Hendrik Boom
A: dng
Assumptes vells: Re: [DNG] How to use golang-1.7?
Assumpte: [DNG] golang-1.7 considered defective as is.
On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:42:59PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hendrik Boom writes:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 02:54:57PM +1000, Ozi Traveller wrote:
> >> I have it installed in windows at work.
> >>
> >> These might be useful to you.
> >>
> >> https://tecadmin.net/install-go-on-debian/
> >> <goog_589305626>
> >> https://golang.org/dl/
> >>
> >> ozi
> >
> > Yes, there are instructons for installation from source, and from
> > binaries, which I havven't tries yet.
> >
> > I had rather hoped to install from the regular Debian/Devuan packages
> > but it's starting to seem hopeless.
>
> Don't despair. It's not that I have looked at any golang packages but ...

> ... have a look at the `dpkg -L golang-1.7` output. Especially anything
> that has /bin/ in it. That should give you a decent idea where the go
> binary is.
>
> Also, with versioned packages it is quite common to provide something
> like go-1.7 and symlink go with something suitable (or not as seems to
> be your case).
>
> Failing that, I'd head over to /usr/share/doc/golang-1.7/ for a more
> info like a README.Debian or README, whatever.
>
> Hope this helps,

The documentation I found in the readme's basically said how to
configure it if I used Go's original source of their binary installer.

But the golang-1.7 package doesn't put files where they say.

There should be a readme that says how to set the environment
variables based on where the files actually end up.

The ancient properly packaged golang (approx 1.3) package does put the
'go' command in /usr/bin where it works. But golang-1.7 does not.

I maintain that golang-1.7 is a defective package as is.

Of course I'll follow the instructions on the golang website(s) if I
don't get the Debian/Devuan package working soon. But I, as I suspect
many potential users, would prefer that the Debian/Devuan package would
just work.

-- hendrik