:: Re: [DNG] OT: most processors are i…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Rick Moen
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] OT: most processors are insecure (was Re: Nvidia Drivers)
Quoting Alessandro Selli (alessandroselli@???):

> >> "This is a NOMMU chip, implemented as Harvard architecture (separate
> >> Instruction and Data busses) with a 5 stage pipeline, with 16k cache (8k
> >> instruction, 8k data), supported by a memory controller interfacing with
> >> up to 256 megabytes of lpddr memory (in one low cost memory chip)."
> >>
> >> So, it's a 32-bit chip with no MMU, no FPU, 2-way SMP and 256 MiB
> >> maximum memory. :-(
> >
> > When you say 'it', you refer to the SH2-compatible chip from 2015, which
> > was merely the -start- of the Hitachi SuperH-revival project.
>
> No, 2-way SMP support was added in 2016. Looks like that was the last
> release.

But the text you quoted (above) described the 2015 SH2-compatible chip,
exactly as I said, not the 2016 one. Thus my point. You described only
the _start_ of the roadmap. You said nothing (until now) about even the
2016 immediate successor.

> > Why did you ignore the rest of the roadmap?
>
> Because it's just a roadmap. I wrote about what is available now.

What is available now is not all that interesting. The great thing is
that doing SH3 and SH4, the next steps, is _not_ from-scratch work,
because the former Hitachi implementation is fully documented -- and now
also patent-free. This is outside my field, so I don't really know the
extent of the work needing doing, but I gather that leveraging Hitachi's
prior art reduces the workload quite a lot.