:: Re: [DNG] suggestion
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Arnt Karlsen
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] suggestion
On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 09:31:10 +0200, Kees wrote in message
<CADj6Q_BMpDUX94_=OXkmBcq+EGhWLO3THyektc_F-hqs80QcGQ@???>:

> Hello,
>
> When I installed Devuan first time on my (recently new) hardware, I
> was initially left with some vague information provided by 'lspci'.
> That hindered me by searching/selecting the right
> drivers and X configuration. I discovered the 'update_pciids' utility
> in /usr/sbin.
> After running that everything got more clear for me.
>
> "RUN the 'update_pciids' utility as part of the installation process
> on the target!"

...but not automatically: "update-pciids --help" should not do this:
root@d44:/var/cache/apt/archives# update-pciids --help
Downloaded daily snapshot dated 2017-08-10 03:15:02
root@d44:/var/cache/apt/archives#

...it should offer an helpful message like: "See helpful manual
in output of the commandline command 'man update-pciids'.", to
put it the teaspoony way.

..in the installation process, I'd _suggest_ running update-pciids
e.g. "if known hardware has not seen yet by " e.g. lspci, automation
may open attack vectors we might wanna keep closed.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: