:: Re: [DNG] OT: most processors are i…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Alessandro Selli
To: Haines Brown
CC: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] OT: most processors are insecure (was Re: Nvidia Drivers)
On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 at 13:48:37 -0400
Haines Brown <haines@???> wrote:

> It would be naive to think that CPU producers don't build in a
> backdoor. This is why I take an interest in Chinese CPUs.

There are also processors produced from Russian firms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Russian_microprocessors

> At this point they are only RISC processors,

Looks like all Russian CPUs are SPARC or MIPS-based. I think they're
avoiding Intel-like stuff on purpose, they probably want to avoid any
copyright infringment claim and also having to get a licence to be able to
produce their own processors.

> but before long they should produce a product competitive with Intel.

Two years ago I read Russian CPUs are about as powerful and efficient as
five-years old Intel CPUs. I don't know how Chinese CPUs compare, but keep
in mind the world's most powerful computer, the Chinese Sunway TaihuLight, is
running on native CPUs, the SW26010:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunway_TaihuLight
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SW26010

The same supercomputer is rated #4 worldwide as far as power-efficiency is
concerned.

> I suppose it will also have a back door, door, but China seems less
> threatening than the U.S.

To non-Chinese it is, sure! ;-)

Alessandro