:: Re: [DNG] Technical overview of ini…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Martin Steigerwald
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] Technical overview of init systems
Jaromil - 09.08.17, 09:16:
> On Tue, 08 Aug 2017, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Adam Borowski - 08.08.17, 18:57:

> > > Uhm, what? Systemd uses ELF objects too, should we go with a.out for
> > > this
> > > reason?
> > >
> > > cgroups are a way to say "this group of processes may not use more than
> > > 2GB
> > > memory". How else would you ensure a misbehaving set of daemons /
> > > container /etc does not bring down the rest of the system with it?
> >
> > I agree that cgroups can be a useful feature. Yet… also a bit clumsy to
> > use, and not free of race conditions. That written, kernel developers are
> > working to fix part of the clumsyness and completely and all of the race
> > conditions by unifying all cgroup controllers (memory, cpu and so on) in
> > one directory tree.
> is the sourcecode of systemd the *only* example implementation of an
> INIT 1 daemon using cgroups right now?
>
> here I see a lot of Go code
> https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=cgroups&type=
>
> so why systemd is considered to be the only supervisor implementation
> supporting cgroups? because all the rest are just libraries?
>
> I'm a bit confused and very curious

I have no idea. I was only aware of systemd using cgroups so far.

Well except… cgmanager… which runs separately from PID 1 and supports managing
processes / containers in cgroups on SysVInit (or other non cgroup based) init
systems.

And… well… some low latency daemon written in Lua I don´t remember… well I
found it with apt-cache search:

ulatencyd - scriptable latency regulator using cgroups (server)

Last version packaged in Debian is from march 2014 tough.

Thanks,
--
Martin