:: Re: [DNG] Please keep 32-bits alive
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Please keep 32-bits alive
On 26.07.2017 08:55, Didier Kryn wrote:

>     I totally disagree. Programming low level libc functions and
> programming a full-featured web browser aren't the same kind of job at
> all and should be done in neither the same state of mind, nor the same
> language. Most probably they souldn't be done by the same kind of person.

NAK. Just look at the insanity of Mozilla's or Chrome's bloat.
Large parts of the complexity (which I'm currently trying to reduce)
comes from using C++ by the school books. This just makes modularization
really hard.

>     And it's one thing when it's a web browser and yet another when it's
> a critical software component in an airplane or a nuclear submarine. By
> chance, those are certainly not programmed in assembler or in C.

I'm currently working on mozilla (won't touch chrome, as it's even
worse - beyond any hope), and I'm absolutely sure, I would do a better
job in C. But I wouldn't ever have implemented all these misfeatures
in the first place.

And I also did several criticial software. In C, of course. Others in
the project in the project insisted in C++ and huge class stacks for
trivial things - their code was complete bullshit and didn't work.

I wouldn't claim C++ itself is bad, but it seems to have a massive
attraction to incompetent people.

--mtx