:: Re: [DNG] Please keep 32-bits alive
Top Pagina
Auteur: Adam Borowski
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Please keep 32-bits alive
On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 11:34:40AM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 26/07/2017 à 11:06, Adam Borowski a écrit :
> > On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 10:55:32AM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> > >      I totally disagree. Programming low level libc functions and programming
> > > a full-featured web browser aren't the same kind of job at all and should be
> > > done in neither the same state of mind, nor the same language. Most probably
> > > they souldn't be done by the same kind of person.
> > Nope, someone coding a web browser needs to know how libc functions work.

>     All languages wrap libc's API with their own primitives: C wraps
> unistd's write() within printf() and fwrite() and even unistd's write() and
> seek() are wrappers for kernel's pwrite().

Uhm, nope. There's no way to sanely implement write() using pwrite() -- any
attempt would run into race conditions in a multithreaded program. This
applies to both libc's API and to writing a browser.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ What Would Jesus Do, MUD/MMORPG edition:
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ • multiplay with an admin char to benefit your mortal