:: Re: [DNG] [Desktop-Environment] Cin…
Página Principal
Autor: Adam Borowski
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] [Desktop-Environment] Cinnamon and MATE
On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 04:25:55PM -0500, Don Wright wrote:
> Dragan FOSS wrote:
> >I think it's best to drop 32-bit support at all... it's such a waste of
> >time and resources.
>
> As long as you're pruning, kill x64 as well, because the majority of
> computers sold are using ARM architecture and run Android or iOS.

And why exactly machines that run Android or iToy would be relevant here?
The vast majority of computers that run Debian/Devuan are amd64, plus a
non-negligible minority of armhf and arm64.

The rest of architectures are worth keeping -- if you want to be an
universal operating system -- but are of quite low priority for a first stab
at packaging a desktop environment.

i386 in particular needs to die. While I do respect people who keep
historic machines working, 99.44% of current i386 users have it installed
only because our websites suck and show or shown i386 as the primary
download rather than something only slightly more relevant than m68k or
alpha.

_Real_ i386 machines have a single core (a few Pentium 4 models have HT but
no NX; not sure about last wave of mobiles), came with less that a GB of
memory and tend to take 150 watts for performance worse than what a cheap
SoC delivers for 3 watts. Thus, people who actually have one of those would
find a heavy-weight desktop environment a bad idea.

Thus, if you have a machine that's capable of running Cinnamon at non-snail
speeds, you're using the wrong arch. Please crossgrade.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ A dumb species has no way to open a tuna can.