:: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust "init"
On 11.07.2017 23:33, Rowland Penny wrote:

> Yes, there is 'with-systemd' and 'without-systemd', not that either are
> really needed, the systemd parts will only be built if the systemd
> development libs are installed.

It should be an explicit op-in (in general, I really dislike any
autodetect magic, that silently enables dependencies - that's especially
annoying for self-compiling folks). And the naming is confusing, as it
doesn't tell anything about what it's actually for.

By the way, I still haven't understood, what this is actually needed
for. sd_notify() is pretty useless in a decent operating context,
the information just isn't reliable enough to do anything that we
already can by reading log files (we already had a long discussion
about that, don't like to repeat it again). No need for that extra
complexity (yes: good software is usually small and simple).

Instead we could try standardizing some generic syslog messages,
so monitoring systems need less service-specific logic.

--mtx