:: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust "init"
Le 11/07/2017 à 20:35, Jamey Fletcher a écrit :
>> I no longer feel like I can
>> trust "init"
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/7/6/577
> This is getting scary - last time I remember something along these lines,
> something called git seemed to be the end result. And I think git has
> taken over the world from emacs!

     Sorry, maybe I haven't enough software/historical/english culture
to not miss something, but I don't understand the relation between Git
and Emacs. AFAIK Git is a replacement for Cvs/Svn, and it seems a
majority of people agree it is a good replacement.

     As I understand the mail of Linus Torvalds, he is aware that the
init system may be pretty harmfull and he tries to do his best to reduce
the scope of its possible nuisances.  He makes clear that it is
SystemDisease which examplified how much init can be harmfull, but the
approach of Torvalds remains general.

     Similarly he noticed that Udev wasn't doing the right things and
didn't want to, and he implemented firmware loading in the kernel and
developped the devtmpfs to care of device files creation/deletion. If he
someday finds that any critical part of init can be done in the kernel.
He will do it, in the spirit of preserving versatility and freedom - I
understand that those are his intentions.

     Didier