Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust "init"
On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 05:34:29PM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> A [L]GPL'ed worm or virus is Free Software, but is it acceptable
> software? Of course, if we're only concerned about its licensing, we
> won't have a care what it does to user's computers or data.
>
> It has always seemed to me that an implicit part of the GPL is the old
> Google slogan, "Do no harm."

I believe the Google slogan was "Don't be evil." "First, do no harm" is
from the English translaation of the Hippocratic Oath.

> It has been long ago, perhaps the better part of two decades since I
> read this, but RMS was not a fan of computer security as it developed
> around him.

The fsf internet site originally had no passwords on it at all, with th
eintention that anyone could just connect and participate in the great
work. RMS was appalled when someone used that freedom to use his site
to atack another network site. It was a dark day in the life of the FSF
when he had to impose passwords for system access.

-- hendrik