:: Re: [DNG] Why did it take Devuan 2 …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Joachim Fahrner
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Why did it take Devuan 2 years to replace systemd?
Am 2017-07-09 17:10, schrieb Edward Bartolo:

> I have been running Devuan since August of two years ago, and I do not
> regret it. Being forced to do Linux the way seen from above, would
> have definitely killed my motivation to use a different OS completely.
> Devuan is giving me freedom; Devuan is not only about init freedom,
> but much much more. Devuan is about placing users' freedom at the
> heart of software design. Devuan is not about advertising a product
> that users must accept. If it were for that, its creation would have
> been useless.

I totally agree with Edward. I feel also being a Unix Veteran. My first
steps were with SCO Unix, Kodaks Interactive Unix, Suns Solaris and
CDC's EP/IX, long before existence of Linux.

I don't mind if its now called Linux or *BSD. Important is, that it's a
open and free Unix compatible operating system. Red Hat and Mr.
Poettering are trying (with success) to make Linux a monolithic and
proprietary system like Windows is. This is not Unix, and this is not
software freedom.

My heart beats for BSD systems, but I'm using Linux because many
applications I need are not available for BSD (vmware, drivers for chip
card readers for onlne banking, and so on). But when Linux goes Windows
(with systemd), that's not my OS. I hope that Devuan will win the fight,
and keep Linux a free and open OS.