Til: dng
Emne: [DNG] Six weeks of Devuan Popularity Contest
DR D1Rs,

just a quick report on the activity of http://popcon.devuan.org six
weeks after it was put online.

At the moment, it seems like we have just below 1300 active
submissions, and the number increases on average by about 20/30 new
submissions per day.

If we consider that the popularity contest is *disabled* by default,
and that it is normally not enabled by admins on server installations,
then we can probably assume that those 1300 units represent between 5%
and 20% of the overall number of Devuan installations, which would
correspond to an estimate between 6K-25K Devuan machines in total.

To put things in perspective:

1) the current popcon numbers for Debian (jessie + stretch) are in the
region of 150K, so a first rough conclusion is that Devuan has about
1% of the use-base of Debian.

2) The total Debian user-base has remained almost stable in the last
four years. To grow at the same pace of Devuan, Debian should count
something like 2K-3K new installations per day, which would be about
one order of magnitude larger than the observed growth in Debian
popcon.

In conclusion: these numbers have overall little significance
_per_se_. As with any statistics, we can speculate over them as much
or little as we want, but they clearly suggest that the Devuan
community is growing at a steady pace. This is yet another reason why
Devuan cannot afford to fail ;)

My2Cents

KatolaZ