Til: Svante Signell
CC: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] error processing package initscripts, because /lib/init/vars.sh missing
On 170705-23:48+0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-07-05 at 21:05 +0000, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
> >
> > What is that /lib/init/vars.sh ? Which package should have installed
> > it? What
> > could be the reason that it is missing?
>
> Please don't reboot.

Which I didn't do. Untill I fixed it, that is. And once I have, this is the
third time on this clone machine that I rebooted. And also I repeated the
entire procedure on my Air-Gapped machine, since the clone is expendable,
permanent in my method is what I install in the, later cloned, Air-Gapped
master machine...

And my Air-Gapped I also rebooted just fine.

> The file /lib/init/vars.sh from util-linux is
> essential to have a successful boot. I'll write down tomorrow how you
> could fix this. It's about connfiles being removed not getting
> installed unless forced, and the version of util-linux you have
> installed (2.29.2-1). Where did you get that version, Debian stretch?

So very likely!

Because I had updated (weeks and weeks ago now) my, originally, Jessie RC2, to
stretch, in Air-Gapped, to get FFmpeg and MPlayer/Mencoder, and because I
couldn't figure how to do Air-Gapping in Devuan (which I do know how now).

> If you are on i386 or amd64 I can send you the required debs for
> 2.29.2-1+devuan1 from ascii-propsed.

But it has all been solved by now. In the gap btwn my message and when you send
the message, I was right somewhere there figuring out the solution, and now,
you can see my message where I (manually construing a quote) explain:
> # dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/initscripts_2.88dsf-59.3+devuan2_amd64.deb
>
> reinstalled initscripts, and the /lib/init/vars.sh (which is part of
> initscripts package)

and state that I expect to reboot without problems.

Thanks for caring! (And I hope to become a more useful
Devuan/and-more-generally-FOSS tester some day... In *slow* time... Well I have
already been, but marginally so.)
--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia