:: Re: [DNG] Systemd: Once again the "…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Antony Stone
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Systemd: Once again the "not-a-bug" attitude, this time regarding a security issue
On Thursday 06 July 2017 at 00:36:51, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am more and more considering finally switching to Devuan for all of my
> systems.
>
> The "not-a-bug" attitude upstream developers, especially Lennart, show in
>
> systemd can't handle the process previlege that belongs to user name
> startswith number, such as 0day #6237
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6237
>
> and
>
> [systemd-devel] Github systemd issue 6237
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2017-July/039154.html
>
> *again* IMHO is inacceptable for security issues like this.

Agreed - it's so disappointing to see this sort of public attitude in such a
major open source project. It brings down the reputation of open source
development :(

> I read in german Linux-Magazin that KDE Plasma basically works in Devuan
> Jessie…

I agree - it does, for a given value of "basically"...

> but I am on Debian Unstable with my laptop. And there seem to be
> issues with automounting…

Yes, you get prompted for the root password at each mount or unmount (as it
says in the article)...

Slightly irritiating, but the process still works as expected (eg: device
names etc).

> On my Jessie-Server VM I could just cross-grade to Devuan Jessie, it was
> running with sysvinit for a long time anyway. My VM for the backup is Debian
> Stretch already.

What's the advantage of Devuan for a (non-GUI) server, where you can just run
Debian with sysvinit anyway (this works for both Jessie and Stretch)?

> Well… maybe I finally arrive at the point where I say goodbye to Debian and
> hello to Devuan, at least for the time being.

I'm intrigued - if you use Debian Unstable, and you're interested in KDE
Plasma, are you using KMail2? Does it actually work for you?

Antony.

--
"Linux is going to be part of the future. It's going to be like Unix was."

- Peter Moore, Asia-Pacific general manager, Microsoft

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.