Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Testing network connectivity
On Tue, 4 Jul 2017 16:46:47 -0700
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> Quoting Steve Litt (slitt@???):
>
> > In daemontools-inspired inits, you express dependencies via if
> > statements in the run script. The best way I've found, so far, to do
> > this in Devuan is to use the following script, called netup.sh:
>
> It's pretty nice. I note without objection that success depends not
> only on port 80/tcp network connectivity but also on DNS resolution
> via the system resolver routine. If you wished, you could test those
> two things individually, e.g., if you wanted to issue/log diagnostic
> output.

Yes!

I removed host and port to be arguments so one could get as specific or
general as one wants. If it were acceptable to have connectivity
without DNS, I could have:

netisup.sh    8.8.8.8   42

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2017 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz