:: Re: [DNG] some ASCII issues
Top Pagina
Auteur: Didier Kryn
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] some ASCII issues
Le 04/07/2017 à 13:08, Alessandro Selli a écrit :
>    Right, which brings up the issue that you cannot produce a distibution
> without an initramfs because, among the other problems, some of the drivers
> it comes with, some of which are needed to mount the root filesystem, do need
> a proprietary firmware.  What one can do on his own PC does not constitute a
> solution for the distribution.

     It brings the issue that you cannot produce a *universal*
distribution without an initramfs etc...

     I don't know of any distribution with a pretention to be universal
without an initramfs. initramfs is what distros need to be as universal
as possible.

     Considering no distribution will provide you with the proprietary
blob you need for your specific hardware, you will have to hack it a
little bit and go beyond what the distro can give you. Either you hack
the initramfs, or you hack the kernel, or you buy hardware which can be
managed by free software. This leaves you with 3 options (at least). Not
too bad :-)

     Didier