:: Re: [DNG] some ASCII issues
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Alessandro Selli
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] some ASCII issues
On Tue, 4 Jul 2017 at 14:41:28 -0700
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> Quoting Alessandro Selli (alessandroselli@???):
>
>> On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 at 13:06:41 -0700
>> Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:
>>
>> > Your upthread hypothetical didn't mention Devuan at all.
>>
>> Of course it did.
>
> What you said, verbatim and without any qualifications, was 'It cannot
> work if what you need to do is feeding the HD controller some
> proprietary firmware that cannot legally be embedded in the GPL driver.'
> My sole point was that is factually incorrect

You are still failing the easiest way to demonstrate your point:

    «  If you disagree, kindly point out what other method is available
    that allows a kernel to lawfully feed a controller a
    [proprietary] firmware before mounting the root FS.»
    (edited)

> -- leaving aside the fact
> that your assumption of proprietary firmware getting embedded into
> drivers is also untrue in my experience.

It's not just *my* experience, it's a long established fact. I also
provided with pointers to a relevant example, that of course you pretended
was not there before your eyes. I'll try again to get it through that thick
skull of yours:

[alessandro@wkstn04 ~]$ apt-cache show b43-fwcutter
Package: b43-fwcutter
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1:019-3
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0
Filename: pool/main/b/b43-fwcutter/b43-fwcutter_019-3_amd64.deb
Size: 25714
MD5sum: bba7a66c17a3c6c1926f5592fed63fc8
SHA1: c98130c0c0d8acbf6c3ecc96c3b7108b3c28de60
SHA256: 1545d709c25b32c0f385d192215ab628a6cf803d9ff52a90a39a44ca7f971105
Description-en: utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware
This package provides a tool for extracting BCM43xx wireless chip
firmware from Broadcom's proprietary driver files.
.
It is used by the firmware-b43(legacy)-installer packages as part of
the automated process of downloading and installing firmware.
Description-md5: 19713b4b3c64e57d9fe7a1aec56c25e1
Homepage: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Origin: Ubuntu
Supported: 9m

[alessandro@wkstn04 ~]$

Proprietary Nvidia Linux drivers too do stuff everything together inside a
gargantuan module.

> (In my experience, separate
> kernel loaders load firmware BLOBs from image files kept under
> /lib/firmware .)

That is, I write for the... third? fourth? time, due to the fact that you
cannot (legally) distribute files that mix proprietary code with GPL'ed code,
such as Linux mainstream kernel modules are.
My dog has learned that by now.

>> Next time, before replying, please read at least the thread's object
>> line.
>
> Unfortunately for this rhetorical ploy, you were, of course, like other
> participants, disregarding the Subject header, topic drift having
> occurred.

I fully documented how the topic has progressed. Shall I do that again?

> But you already know that, everyone else already knows that, and you're
> now just wasting everyone's time. Which reminds me, I have many better
> things to do.

Yes, I know, to you anything is better than confronting reality.

Be gone.