:: Re: [DNG] some ASCII issues
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Alessandro Selli
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] some ASCII issues
On Tue, 4 Jul 2017 at 11:41:05 +0100
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 12:18:19PM +0200, Alessandro Selli wrote:
>
> [cut]
>
> > > didn't involve a right
> > > reserved under copyright in the first place,
> >
> > Let me remind you GPL is a licence, and that it prohibits linking
> > proprietary code with free code in the same binary file.
> >

> Sorry, but this is totally wrong, and quite misleading. By freedom 0,
> you can *use* a GNU GPL software for whatever task you like, and even
> link it with other proprietary software of your choice, without
> limitations. Any single or company can take GNU GPL software out there
> and *use* it as they want, even together with other proprietary
> software.

I know, I don't dispute this.

> What you *cannot* do is *distributing* a software covered by the GNU
> GPL, or a modification thereof, inside of or in combination with a
> software that has a license more restrictive than the GNU GPL itself,
> or that is incompatible with the GNU GPL.

Right, which brings up the issue that you cannot produce a distibution
without an initramfs because, among the other problems, some of the drivers
it comes with, some of which are needed to mount the root filesystem, do need
a proprietary firmware. What one can do on his own PC does not constitute a
solution for the distribution.

The thread was about Devuan and other distribution's filesystem layout
(the / and /usr merge) and their use and need of an initramfs, not about how
someone could tweak his/her own PC to customize it in such a way an initramfs
can be done away with.

--
Alessandro Selli http://alessandro.route-add.net
VOIP SIP: dhatarattha@???