:: Re: [DNG] some ASCII issues
Top Pagina
Auteur: Alessandro Selli
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] some ASCII issues
On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 at 13:06:41 -0700
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> Quoting Alessandro Selli (alessandroselli@???):
>
> > On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 at 17:51:48 -0700
> > Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:
> >
> > > Quoting Alessandro Selli (alessandroselli@???):

> > > ITYM that the resulting derivative work cannot be lawfully
> > > redistributed. But compiling the driver does not redistribute it.
> >
> > Devuan in a public, general-purpose distribution, not an OS tailored
> > to the specific environment of a single individual's HW/layout.
>
> That's interesting, but you've just entirely changed the subject.

Nope.

> Your upthread hypothetical

Not hypothetical at all, pretty real-life indeed.

> didn't mention Devuan at all.

Of course it did. Next time, before replying, please read at least the
thread's object line. Hint: ASCII does not refere to the American Standard
Code of Information Interchange.
OK, the discourse was extended beyond Devuan's specific, it spread to the
generic distribution and it's uses of initramfs, still it's very true that
the topic was not "the specific environment of a single individual's
HW/layout".

> You made a very
> specific legal claim about compiling proprietary firmware into a GPL
> driver,

Do you mean this case does not exist, that it's not of any concern to distro
packagers?

> and I pointed out that said hypothetical

It's *not* an hypothesis, it's a real-life scenario. Again, the fact that
you, in your tiny world, never came across this issue proves nothing else
than you've been living in a closet.

> didn't involve a right
> reserved under copyright in the first place,

Let me remind you GPL is a licence, and that it prohibits linking
proprietary code with free code in the same binary file.

> suggesting you were perhaps
> thinking of redistribution, which you hadn't been talking about.

The object was: