:: Re: [DNG] some ASCII issues
Página Inicial
Autor: Rick Moen
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] some ASCII issues
Quoting Alessandro Selli (alessandroselli@???):

> On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 at 17:51:48 -0700
> Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Alessandro Selli (alessandroselli@???):
> >
> >> It cannot work if what you need to do is feeding the HD controller some
> >> proprietary firmware that cannot legally be embedded in the GPL driver.
> >
> > ITYM that the resulting derivative work cannot be lawfully
> > redistributed. But compiling the driver does not redistribute it.
>
> Devuan in a public, general-purpose distribution, not an OS tailored
> to the specific environment of a single individual's HW/layout.

That's interesting, but you've just entirely changed the subject. Your
upthread hypothetical didn't mention Devuan at all. You made a very
specific legal claim about compiling proprietary firmware into a GPL
driver, and I pointed out that said hypothetical didn't involve a right
reserved under copyright in the first place, suggesting you were perhaps
thinking of redistribution, which you hadn't been talking about.

FYI, I've never hear of proprietary firmware BLOBs being embedded into
drivers. In every case I'm aware of, those are processed separately.

> > (I'm not necessarily endorsing your view about proprietary firmware.
>
> It's not *my* view, it's the law, it's the real world out there.

I actually was making a particular point of not discussing your view
about proprietary firmware, pointing out that it's not necessary to do
so, to see that the act of compiling drivers does not involve exercise
of copyright holders' reserved rights, hence cannot even in theory be
copyright violation.

If you wish to argue with someone about your views concerning
proprietary firmware, that's a separate discussion and I wish you luck
finding some other volunteer r to argue with you.

> > I'm just pointing out that your conclusion doesn't follow from the
> > premise.)
>
> They are not *my* conclusions, they are real-world issues.

You seem to have not followed my point. Ah well.

> If you disagree, kindly point out what other method is available that
> allows a kernel to lawfully feed a controlelr a firmware before
> mounting the root FS.

That is not the discussion we were having.

I understand the urge to change the subject when one is caught saying
something illogical, but I'm not inclined to give you cover. ;->