:: Re: [DNG] Why /command ?
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Why /command ?
On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 08:21:01 +0200
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 02/07/2017 à 01:37, Steve Litt a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm writing a document on how to install runit on Devuan, with the
> > hope that some day it will lead to a Devuan package that makes
> > sense and to the best degree possible implements the goals of the
> > software's author.
> >
> > Most of it's pretty straightforward, but the runit install scripts
> > (package/upgrade to be specific) create /command right off the root,
> > and the runit docs suggest I create /package right off the root.
> > These are things that most distros would refuse to do.
> >
> > So I was wondering what the original intent was in having these two
> > directories directly off the root? Is it so the init and supervision
> > can proceed even before partition mounts are complete? Is there some
> > other reason? Can anyone recommend setups that fulfill the reasons
> > for the direct-off-root dirs without having direct-off-root dirs?
> >
> > By the way, if the runit docs go well, I'll do the same thing with
> > s6.
>
>      Sysvinit reads its configuration and scripts from directory
> trees in /etc. Therefore, why not put /command and /package somewhere
> there, eg in /etc/runit ? Everybody assumes /etc must be present when
> init starts.

>      Just my first idea. There might be better ones...

>      Didier

Yeah, something like:

/etc/
  runitstuff/
    sv/
    package/
    command/
    service/
  runit/
    (all the stuff currently in/under /etc/runit)

Sounds good to me, but before I make *any* move I want to know, from
Gerrit Pape and from the rest of the supervision list crowd, why these
things are direct off the root, and always have been, from the days of
djb's daemontools. What was djb's reason for putting them directly off
the root?

By the way, my choices might be constrained to the extent that I'd
greatly prefer NOT to mess with Gerritt's installation scripts, but due
to symlinks pointing to symlinks pointing to symlinks, the more I
change things, the more likely it becomes that I'd need to change his
install scripts.

Thanks,

SteveT

--
SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2017 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key